Wednesday, August 21, 2019

"...On Suddenly Dropping Dead"


Which I nearly did this afternoon here in the Emerald City. 'Got an email from the library wanting some stuff back. Yeah I figured I'd get around to it. Anyway they send you shit a day or two before due date.

So off I went.

The sun was high it was profoundly humid, and at or near 90f. As it's been all month. Bleep it I thought. I was going out for more peaches anyway. The library doors being wide open, and there being no one inside were bad signs.

The Climate Control blew out. 'was 250f in there. Had been I was told since the weekend. They were waiting for a City crew to come. ...good luck. However a few brave librarians remained at their sweaty posts. 
There ready to help anyone dumb enough,...like me, to enter that oven. 

Bless Librarians.

Bless fruit stores too. Especially in summer. Us senior citizens would hardly eat without them. Swell stuff, and all priced to go. I got a nice bag of peaches some peanuts a seltzer, and went out into the inferno.

This was a mistake.

Once again I forgot to bring water, and once again heat exhaustion crept in. I had planned to rest at the library,...it being a heat shelter, and all. However that didn't pan out. So four long,...very long Parkway blocks in the very scary sun. 

The air literally steam. 
No surprise halfway home I nearly fell over. The usual ringing in my head my vision tunneling, and I was suddenly cold. Kids don't do this at home.

I thought of sitting on a Parkway bench, but remembered that might be suicidal. They say keep walking keep you blood moving so you don't pass out. I made it home. 

I have a cure,...

Take a cold shower at once to lower your body temps. Drink plenty of water turn on the bleeping AC, and lay down till shit clears up,...it does in an hour or so. Imagine once when a lad I liked it hot. 

However back then the ocean wasn't rising the glaciers weren't melting, and it wasn't 100f degrees for months at a time. Oddly I'm still adjusting to the new climate. As a kid no one had to carry water with them, and heat shelters were in the Sahara desert not Brooklyn.

Anyway I didn't die.

...this time.

4 comments:

  1. Just wait until the the smoke from the Amazon rain forest fires reachs you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smoke of the forest fires from the west coast last summer hit us as hard as the smoke from Mount St. Helens in the 80's. It was hazy one could smell the fire. This from across a continent.

    Much would be the same from the Nuke hits if war comes.

    Smoke from San Francisco all the missile, and bomber bases in the plains from Chicago the works would wash over us.

    Not that anyone would notice as we'd all be charcoal shadows on a the remaining NYC walls.

    A cherry way to start my day,...thanks.

    What with #45 being G-d now perhaps we should pray to him for nicer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's good reason to think that responsibility for those fires belongs in large part to a criminal organization called Pacific Gas and Electric, which is the despotic corporation that controls those resources on much of the left coast, including where I live. At this moment I'm still suffering from a respiratory illness because of their criminal conduct. I've seen a video of people killed in the fire that PG&E's negligence caused in Paradise, California last year: people who were burned alive in their car, another on his driveway.

    I hope the weather cools for you Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It' was raining like crazy lightning thunder that rattled my windows swell fun for the whole family,...if I had one. Of course it didn't cool shit off...in fact it got worse.

    Always does after a heatwave rain.

    All the water is evaporated in the lingering heat, and turned to steam. So now I sit in a pool of my own steamy sweat.

    Though they say it should break in a few days. That said that last week. That cooling front made a detour around NYC.

    Same way big snow storms go around us. I mean they get within sight of us make a sharp turn north, and we get drizzle. New England gets all the winter wonderland shit.

    Same in the summer with cooling fronts. As usual it went north to Vermont which didn't need it.
    It's almost always cool up there. Gawd hates us specially NYC. I think he got the clap here once, and never forgave us.

    ReplyDelete

"...Fire Sale!"

I am now posting on >>>>  "Book of Days" (sidneyinhell.blogspot.com) This due to tech problems with Blogsplot.  The ot...