Friday, January 10, 2020

"...Set"


A TV set,...a radio set stereo-set. The term lived for over a century. They began with mid-19th century telegraph sets as in set ups. There were no 1970's 8-Track sets no Cassette sets certainly no VCR sets. Although early home computers came as sets to be built. They were not called Computer sets.
I wonder though if the term hadn't vanished somewhere in the late 1960's.
What would things be now?
Would you buy an iPhone Set a new App Set a Flat screen Set a Computer Set or a Virtual Reality-Set? 
See 1940's table radio set above,...which I remember using. I played with a Scrabble Set too.

2 comments:

  1. We did so have cassette decks in the 70s! Surely you recall. They were superior to CDs because you could record whatever you wanted to off the radio or whatever your mike could pick up. Bring them back!

    I also want old-fashioed stereographic viewers and toy theatres and palaces and cathedrals that you can build from stiff printed paper, like in Victorian times. Not everything they did back them was dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I remember,...though we called them "decks" not sets.

    As you know I do all that.

    I copy 100+ years old patterns for my collages dolls, and even paper doll houses. It's there to be used, and brought back to life.

    These are a joy to make...which is why they were popular for over a century or more.

    ReplyDelete

"...Fire Sale!"

I am now posting on >>>>  "Book of Days" (sidneyinhell.blogspot.com) This due to tech problems with Blogsplot.  The ot...