Sunday, December 18, 2022

"...biz"

The origins of my honorary title "Uncle"

Centuries ago, I accidentally produced a Kids Radio Show. I was passing the Program Directors office. Stephen Erickson at the time...a pal. Anyway, he comes out, and asks, "...Hey Syd, you wanna do a different sort of show?"  What da hell. I sez "yes", and we was off to da races. 

A lesson. If you’re in the Biz and they ask you to do a movie a play even a radio program...say bleeping yes. If they ask if you can you speak Croation and ride a horse say...Yes!  You can handle da details later. The secret is being in the right place right time then signing. 

I titled the series "Child's Play”. I did it for several years, and it turned out to be popular. Who knew? Years later I met grown-up folks who were kids that used to listened...imagine. My good on-air comrade R. Paul Martin back then began calling me "Uncle". The rest of the staff followed his lead soon after the listeners. It stuck for the next 37 years. From that day in 1985 to this moment in another century. 

Along the way I became a real Uncle and now a Granduncle. Indeed now an ‘Uncle’ to many good folks around the world. Thanks to the wonders of Mr. Internet’s amazing invention. Oh, the days of our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"...Fire Sale!"

I am now posting on >>>>  "Book of Days" (sidneyinhell.blogspot.com) This due to tech problems with Blogsplot.  The ot...