Tuesday, February 22, 2022

"...nuts"



Just came across an early 1960′s Band-Aid advert. Touted as “Flesh Tone”. Oh, the old days. Ten cent comic books tail fins milk delivered in bottles our money backed by silver and Band-Aids for white folks. Well, being calm about it. I mean I have to, if I blew a gasket, I'd have a heart attack.

Anyway, it was likely the unthinking assumptions of the times. Prejudice by any group for any reason is quietly insidious. They may not have had a meeting to deliberately exclude. This since there was a common assumption as to who their customers were. 

Johnson and Johnson was as most brands were at the time. Oblivious to the true nature of their market. It may not have occurred to them they were offending a whole paying demographic. I recall the unfortunate adverts and products were pulled. This when it became clear what a fucking boner it was. They later issued multicolored band-aids. This only made it worse as they didn't match any existing ethnic group. Swell. They figured anything dark would do...dummies.

In time they issued those rainbow animal band-aids for kids and called it a day.

Btw a few brands like Pepsi were “woke” back then. Integrated ads in the early 60’s. This before “woke” or being aware of racism became reverse racism. My family was in the Civil Rights Movement when I was a child. So all the ugly static we have now is to me confusing and nuts. I think Dr. King might say the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"...Fire Sale!"

I am now posting on >>>>  "Book of Days" (sidneyinhell.blogspot.com) This due to tech problems with Blogsplot.  The ot...