Wednesday, October 30, 2019

"...pastries"


In October 2014, Ezekiel Emanuel published an essay in the Atlantic called “Why I Hope to Die at 75.” Because Emanuel is a medical doctor and chair of the University of Pennsylvania’s department of medical ethics and health policy, as well as a chief architect of Obamacare, the article stirred enormous controversy.

Emanuel vowed to refuse not only heroic medical interventions once he turned 75, but also antibiotics and vaccinations. His argument: older Americans live too long in a diminished state.

I often get, from the people who want to dismiss me, “You know, my Aunt Nellie, she was clear as a bell at 94, and blah-blah-blah …” But as I said in the article, there are outliers. There are not that many people who continue to be active and engaged and actually creative past 75. It’s a very small number.

In the early 1980s, we had a theory that as we live longer, we’re going to stay in better health. You know, at 70, we’re going to be like our parents were when they were 50. Well, if you look at the data, maybe not. We’re having more disabilities. We have people with more problems. And even more important, for most people, is the biological decline in cognitive function. If you look at really smart people, there aren’t that many writing brand-new books after 75, and really developing new areas where they are leading thinkers. They tend to be re-tilling familiar areas that they’ve worked on for a long time.

I would like to maintain my vigor, my intellectual capacity, my productivity, all the way through to the end. But I think we also need to be realistic—that’s not the way most of us are going to live.

The world will exist fine if you happen to die. Great people, maybe even people greater than you, like Newton and Shakespeare and Euler—they died. And guess what? The world’s still there.

The above is a very abridged version of the original essay.

...but ya gets the point. 

I strongly believe we should be allowed to die when we're ready. I'm not far off from this. I'll be 70 next summer. I have a chronic condition that my doctor has told me has taken 10 to 15 years off my lifespan.
So effectively right now I'm really 80 or nearly 85.

Not the joke it sounds like.

Every year, and now every few months my abilities diminish. 

I get it. 
Personally I see two to four.

When I'm in hospital which is often now. I hear other elders weep, and pray for their assorted gawds to come save them. 
This is why I despise religions they rob you of dignity when you need it most.

Me I never believed any of that noise so I'm fine in that department. If Euthanasia were legal I'd go before Spring,...or with the first buds.

I'm very tired, and have become weaker. ...who cares. Still I've done what good I could, and want to go. Now. This before I end up a lump of suffering flesh. 
This in the corner of some dreary ward being poked at by medical students that would rather be getting laid, and drunk.

However I, and so many are condemned to a lingering end of pain want, and lonliness. The medical people that treat us have one goal,...keep us alive. No thought remotely of the quality of that life.

We're just old beat up cars they're tinkering on, and making jokes about. Yeah I hear that when they think I'm still out.

So 75 sounds good 70 even better.

We're supposed to die a while after we become elders. 
I always thought it nuts to deny this. Yeah I want to have beautiful days. I want to laugh with old friends with my sister, and cousins. I want to enjoy hot baths weird movies the fucking beach pastires, and cats.

However no,...I do fucking not want to live forever.

Who would if they thought it through.

I want to go on my Terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"...Fire Sale!"

I am now posting on >>>>  "Book of Days" (sidneyinhell.blogspot.com) This due to tech problems with Blogsplot.  The ot...