Saturday, October 22, 2022



I needed to get out of Dodge. 

Fuck the 21st century. I folded time/space.

Kansas City October 24th, 2:46pm 1943~CE.

I stumbled into an air raid drill. I forgot WW2. Figures. I leave the opening shots of WW3 only to slam face first into the last one. Seems there’s worse things than Culture Wars. A cop shoved me down some stairs to a shelter. “Coloreds Only”. I forgot Segregation too. I had relatives in da Midwest in them days. I looked around for any family resemblances. Other than a few hipsters in Zoot Suits…google that. It was just folks. Coloreds doing the best they could and fighting for a better day. 

They was eyeing my NASA jacket, and Reeboks. In New York in any century. No one would have gave me a second look. After the all clear I went to a Nedicks for a real hot dog, and orange drink. Ain’t had lunch in one’a them since the 60′s. Heaven. 

War time Kansas City. Soldiers everywhere posters for War Bonds. Real Jeeps drove by. Fighter planes with propellers overhead. That and everybody and their damned dog smoked like chimneys. We were divided, yet united against a bigger enemy than our stupid demented squabbles.

Along a street I stopped at a news stand. I asked if the guy had “Fantastic Four” No.1…never heard of it. Seems I was twenty years early. I got a Superman comic instead. Hershey bar too thicker ’n twice the size as ours five cents! Also, a New Yorker with a Thurber cartoon on the cover. I paid with a future dollar bill. I later found it on Ebay. '80-year-old 21st century Buck!' I bought it. Time is circular.

Passed a recruiting table. Some white corporals from Alabama tried to get me to sign up. I asked if the Army was still segregated...they stared as if I questioned the laws of nature. To fuck with them I said I was a college grad and wanted officer training. One of them passed out. I shrugged and went my happy way. 

I stumbled over to a phone booth. Yeah, them things was all over the place. Went inside one and like Superman changed into my secret identity. Time traveler. I portaled shifted zapped or whatever back to da demented expensive end of empire American future. I hate it here.

3 comments:

  1. I have an off topic question. Have you had any news from Bob the Bunny? He seems to approach every season with aplomb and sartorial splendor. With the change in the weather I would love to know what Bob is up to.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. For us merkins, the third quarter of the 20th century was the cream. Sure, we were fucked up. But at least we could afford the basics and remain blissfully oblivious to the horrors of the real future that was actually going to arrive.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Bob's fine just got back from that UN NSA Mossad MI-5 Disney dig in Tasmania. Recovering more Alien tech. That crap drops out of our skies more often than you think. Sort of like the way we crash crap into Mars.

    As for the final third...well even poor people back then went to summer camp and had bar-b-q's.

    They were American poor which was rich compared to the rest of earth then. Now it's 3rd world destitution in growing parts of the former United States. At least we saw the Empire at it height. The stuff of future legend like Atlantis.

    ReplyDelete

"...Fire Sale!"

I am now posting on >>>>  "Book of Days" (sidneyinhell.blogspot.com) This due to tech problems with Blogsplot.  The ot...