Friday, June 17, 2022

"...walk on water"


World Peace World Sanity Free Lunch Free Tuition Freedom from Fear, and all the other things that should just be the givens of an advanced society. Turns out it’s just a matter of Pixie Dust….and very Hard Work. …who knew?!

You can Fly! 

Back when they still taught you how to find your country on a map cars had fins TV was b&w, and Good King John was committing adultery with Marilyn Monroe. Back in the glorious times when comic books were .10 cents, and they gave you a free Coke with your hot dog at the movies. Anyone remember the free soda pop days at the kiddie matinees?

Back in them forever lost years of the former American Empire…I thought I could Fly. Made perfect sense. Every night we sat out either at the park or in our backyards to watch the new Satellites slowly sail over us. The night sky was familiar to us. Light pollution much less then. We knew the stars, and their arraignment as constellations. So we knew it when something new appeared…oh those magical ships of stars. 

We lived in an age of Miracles. 

It was within that former realm of magic I believed I could fly. I felt truly believed that I could perch on the window sill and…Leap!  I’d soar through the air make right angle turns and land atop the trees across the street. Then again into the stary night, and fly to my Aunt Sybil’s house to surprise her. As I sit here posting this mayhem as a cranky old guy I see my young self planning this great adventure. 

As it happened I never got the chance. 

My Dad had a company install storm windows, and screens. This just days before my planned ascension. So I was saved from breaking certain bones or getting air sickness. No matter. I think kids do fly, and perform any number of miracles. 

They fly appear disappear walk on water speak with Angels see Demons. However, they don’t tell. Never. I wouldn’t I didn’t. They’d never believe us. Peter Pan is right. Most forget or if remembered dismiss it all as dreams. But some like you and I remember. Like when I saw the sky was a different color than I’d been told or I could hear singing in the sky. This is just how kids exist. They see and do the miraculous.

Perhaps the Peter Pan myth is an echo of our lost adventures. Maybe there is a Never-land or any of the thousand names children have for their magic place. Maybe without knowing that’s what so many are trying to re-capture. Live your best dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"...Fire Sale!"

I am now posting on >>>>  "Book of Days" (sidneyinhell.blogspot.com) This due to tech problems with Blogsplot.  The ot...