Thursday, September 23, 2021

"...life, and times"




Interesting how some things just stay with you. Every year on my birthday. Ma would take me to Times Square to see a show. I dragged her to some weird flicks. One time we saw “Mothra”. There she is above. ‘Went a few rounds with Godzilla in her time. My ma not a Nippon monster fan didn’t get it. Outside the the theater she asked if I was sure this was the right movie. 

All this was before 42nd Street went to hell,…then came back as Disneyland East. Thanks to COVID/Delta collapsed local economies, and violence. It’s going to hell once more. Stay tuned it’ll be back. It always comes back.

But I digress.

So after watching Mothra raise all kinds of hell in Tokyo. There we were in front of the Times Building. The lit up electric ticker telling the world Telstar was up. It said,…“TV From Space!” There was too. Introduced by JFK his own self,…the first international TV via com-sat beaming fuzzy stuff from Paris. Back then such things were front page news. My folks were seriously impressed. Com'on to them Lindberg crossing the Atlantic was still recent news.

That reminds of the time my dad took me to the Museum of Natural History over on Central Park west. Besides meeting that great Blue Whale for the first time. We took in a big exhibit about Sputnik. This just after it went up. Dad was a space fan, and would take my brother me, and pals over to the Planetarium. This followed by hot dogs, and fries,…ya know the kind in the paper conical cup. I can still smell the salty grease. …now I’m hungry. 

Me I wanted to be an Astronaut, and a Fireman. …at the same time. Dad approved. I also wanted to be a Nun a Geisha, and a Cowboy. Eh,…mixed feelings from dad on some of these. Still he thought it cool when I became a kind of remote Astronaut. This when I would take satellite data feeds as a radio engineer. To my old man’s relief that Nun Geisha Cowboy business didn’t pan out.  “Geisha Samurai Cowboys”. There’s a movie with sequels in that somewhere. Such a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"...Fire Sale!"

I am now posting on >>>>  "Book of Days" (sidneyinhell.blogspot.com) This due to tech problems with Blogsplot.  The ot...