Monday, June 14, 2021

"...echo"




You can fly! ...At least I thought I could. Back when they delivered milk in bottles cars had fins, and Good King John was on the Throne. Back in the glorious times when comic books were .10 cents, and they 'gave' you a free Coke with your Hot Dog at the movies.

Back in them forever lost years of the former American Empire,...I thought I could Fly.
Made perfect sense. Every night we sat out at the park or in the backyard to watch the Satellites slowly sail over us. The night sky was familiar to us.
We knew the stars, and their arraignment as constellations. So we knew it when something new appeared. Oh those magical ships of stars. We lived in an age of Miracles.
Within that former realm of magical promise we believed we could fly.
I believed I could perch on the window sill, and,...Leap!
Leap into the air land on the tree in front of our house then leap again into the starry night.
As I sit here posting as an elder I see my young self planning this great adventure.
I think kids 'do' fly.
They perform any number of miraculous acts as a matter of norm. They fly appear, and disappear walk on water speak with both Angels, and Demons. However they don't tell.
Never.
Because these are secrets for the very young in body, and heart.
Secrets soon lost. We've forgotten. All those adventures are thought as mere Dreams.
Perhaps the "Peter Pan" myth is an echo of our lost magic.
Maybe there is a Far side of the Moon a Never-land or any of the thousand names the culture of children have for the "Magic Place".
Maybe without knowing that's what we're all trying to re-capture.

5 comments:

  1. The Muses are dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw I need to draw more blog-safe Fairies.
    Most in my stash I drew over the years are far too happy.
    Especially certain parts of them. How times have changed.
    We've regressed to pre-1960's morality in some matters.

    I only have three or four like the above.
    I'll have to see if my inks are still good.
    Plenty of paper, and time tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, do draw more faeries. So what if you have take an Edwardian approach. It'll be Ralph Chubb meets Andrew Lang, with a bit of Gloeden for good measure. The message will still be clear.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. See my new post "...ink".
    As always your are my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

"...Fire Sale!"

I am now posting on >>>>  "Book of Days" (sidneyinhell.blogspot.com) This due to tech problems with Blogsplot.  The ot...