Thursday, January 30, 2020

"Uncle Sydney vs the Boy Scouts",...the nice part.


This is a portion of my long ago post about my boyhood war with the racist Segregated Boy Scouts. This is the happy fantasy part.



Let me tell you of my innocent boyish scouting visions,...
I saw me, and my new scout pal's out in the wilds of New Jersey,...tracking down mountain lions, digging up "Spanish Gold!", building tree house's, and sighting UFO's.

We'd also be hot on the trail of "Atomic Spies", rescuing cats, exploring mysterious caves, and making friends with da Indians.

We'd be tying all sorts of knots, and painting ourselves up like "Sioux Warriors". We would eat wild berries, shit in the woods, wipe our butts with leaves. The lot of us would go running on all fours, and howl at the moon like wolves!

To relax we'd go skinny dipping, have kissing contests, circle jerks, blow things up, and build model airplanes!

At night under the stars we'd sing do-wop songs, cook foot long kosher hot dogs over a roaring camp fire, and tell scary stories about deranged communist robots from Venus invading Nebraska.

At bed time we'd set up surplus air force parachutes, and use them as our communal tents. We'd all recite our prayers, kiss each other good night, cuddle up like puppies, and slip into the gentle arms of Elysium. 

Perhaps some few might stay awake to chase fireflies or sing songs to each other.

Oh, such a sweet, and innocent vision.
Unfortunately 'none' of this swell shit went down. What did happen was...



My Mom: "What did you say?!"
Scoutmaster: "Eh,...I'm sorry Mrs. Smith, but it's just policy". "There's nothing I can do about it"
"This troop doesn't admit Coloreds". 

Alas,...So ended my chance to tie knots, and take part in circle jerks.


2 comments:

  1. How awful. What dicks people were for thinking that way. Not that the scouts would have lived up to your dreams, but still.

    I never wanted to be a scout. They would have made me cut my hair short, and I was never into wearing uniforms. It's not the hippie way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the knots I could have tied,...the circles jerked.

    ReplyDelete

"...Fire Sale!"

I am now posting on >>>>  "Book of Days" (sidneyinhell.blogspot.com) This due to tech problems with Blogsplot.  The ot...